Build A Business
EMBERS Build A Business entrepreneurial course is an affordable and accessible training program that assists individuals to get from business idea to business launch. The course is offered Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 – 8:30 pm over a three month period. Unlike many other self-employment programs, EMBERS Build A Business has no requirement for EI eligibility.
Next Course Starts September, 2013
INFO SESSION: TBA
Currently accepting applications!
Call 604 692 0781 to sign-up
There are 5 modules of workshops, each consisting of 4 sessions (3 hrs each) over 2 weeks:
- Entrepreneurial Mind – an overview of skills that entrepreneurs need to be successful which includes decision making, visioning, time management, pitching their idea and building a network.
- Market Research – this is the foundation for all the other modules and your business plan itself. It includes looking at 3 areas: your industry, your target market (customer) and your competitors. There is a focus on looking at things such as statistics, journals, websites and surveying your suppliers, potential customers and competitors.
* 1 – 2 week break to conduct market research *
- Marketing – this module focuses on the vastness of marketing – pricing, promotions, where you will offer your product or service, a strong understanding of what your product/service is and how you will package it. This module also covers customer service.
- Financial Management – this module will provide you with a way to forecast your sales and expenses and track them. You will also leave with a better understanding about taxes and credit.
- (a) Operations – this is the doing of your business. What will the process be from finding a customer to creating the product/service to delivering it to the customer to getting paid? What risks are involved? What legal/licensing do you have to consider?
(b) Presentations – Entrepreneurs make short presentations to the class and to a guest panel (coaches) to describe where they are in their business development.
- Launch A Business – In addition to course materials and classroom time, EMBERS Build A Business also offers a Launch A Business Module, where participants are matched up with coaches to help them get their business up and running.
We strive to keep our program affordable. We are not funded by the government and as such we can open our doors to everyone who needs help – not just EI recipients.
The cost for our program is $50 per module, however, those on low-income will be eligible for a scholarship which reduces fees on a sliding scale.
The Build A Business program is offered three times each year: January, May and September.
Upcoming course dates are:
All classes and information sessions are held at our office, which is located in the Woodwards building at 111 W Hastings Street, Suite 310.
You can also download an application form. Please call us at 604-692-0781 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
All forms can be submitted by:
In Person: #310 – 111 W. Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC.